Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Decomposing Composers

Despite the tag at the end, I kept thinking that this commercial was for Raisin Bran cereal:

This spot really warms my heart as it brings back memories of a series of commercials I wrote way back when I worked for Comcast in the mid-'90s. I was given the task of writing a few spots for Evola Music up in Bloomfield. I wrote out a couple of generic spots (even naming them "Generic 1", "Generic 2") that talked about the amazing selection of pianos and blah blah blah. But then, then, I also gave Evola a few more interesting things to chew over. One of them starred a superhero a la Ultra Man but named "Evola Man." I also gave them a spot with a family shopping for pianos who happen to run into Franz Lizst, Johannes Brahms, and Ludwig Von Beethoven. "If we shop here, maybe you should too!"

My boss, not one to take chances, faxed over the two generic spots weeks in advance and saved the other two until the day before shooting. Believe it or not but the client mentioned how much they liked the "crazy" spots but there hadn't been any time for discussion, casting, etc. That said, I'm glad to see such a "crazy" spot as "Raisin Brahms" on the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment