Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Nerd Alert

Everyone knows I'm a nerd. Just how much of one I am is up for debate. Is it major, chronic or perhaps incurable? I'm leaning towards chronic at the moment, just because of the other implications of the term.

I just booked a trip to Boston for March 25-27. Traveling for work again. I'm off to "An Event Apart", a web conference with speakers who make my heart go pitter patter. Sevarl of the names would ring familiar if you looked at my bookshelf or bookmarks: Jeffrey Zeldman, Steve Krug, Dan Cederholm, Molly Holzchlag, Eric Meyer, et cetera. They're all members of the AListApart group who are ardent supporters of web standards and usability. Don't call them "code Nazis" but you can call me that any time. I'll admit it.

It was Zeldman who finally got me out of my "Anti-CSS Rut" that I was in, stuck there from the days when IE 3.0 would choke on CSS tags while Netscape 4.0 would use its own peculiar brand of CSS. To put it another way, he defeated my David Siegel-style horse-killing brand of table-based layouts, opening my eyes to a wide, wild world of more flexibility and usability.

Now I get to see him and other legendary webheads and I'm thrilled to bits. This, indeed, testifies to my geekiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment