Monday, November 10, 2008

Day Late Dollar Short

I just found out over the weekend that The World's Greatest Sinner played on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) recently! I would have loved to have seen this again and finally gotten a decent copy of it. I'm still awaiting this one's release on DVD though I know director Timothy Carey's son is a bit cautious due to the widespread bootlegging that kept Sinner afloat for so many years.

If you're unfamiliar with Carey and why the showing of Sinner is a major coup for TCM in general and television overall, be sure to check out the article Sam McAbee penned back in Cashiers du Cinemart #12. BTW, I think that Sam's original article still exists over at his own site - 5mtl.com. I see that he still has the "brilliance of Einstein" quote. What John Cassavetes really said was that Timothy Carey had the brilliance of "Einsenstein."

So why am I reporting about something that I missed? Because there's another chance to see a pristine copy of The World's Greatest Sinner on April 17, 2009 according to TCM's Underground schedule.

BTW, I'm also still awaiting the release of Carey's sophomore effort, Tweet's Ladies of Pasadena. Here's hoping Romeo allows this and any other films from the Carey archive to be consumed by the public!

No comments:

Post a Comment