Friday, January 05, 2007

Geeky Weekend

I'm sitting in Metro Airport where I'm waiting for my flight to Philadelphia. It's been delayed for over an hour and I'm not quite sure why. Those loudspeakers are so easy to hear, aren't they?

All week at work I've been asked what I'm up to this weekend; why I would take Friday off on this crucial Press Weekend of the North American International Auto Show. The best I can come up with is, "I'm going to a writer's conference." That sounds a lot better than, "I'm going down to Philly to celebrate an obscure pulp writer and to sit around discussing him with a few dozen other ardent fans."

Though the book I'm reading currently, Prisoner of X: 20 Years in the Hole at Hustler Magazine, is very entertaining, I can only take so much in one sitting. I love work stories and I love smut and this memoir by Allan MacDonell combines the best of both worlds. Please don't confuse this book for an X-Man comic title. I'm certain that there has to be an X-Man book named that.

Still not what the agenda of Goodiscon is going to be like. I'm excited to meet Adrian Wootton, I've been a fan of his for a while. Took a lot for me to get a Xeroxed copy of his "For Goodis' Sake!"

I'm also looking forward to seeing Temple University. I only wish that my friend Bill Van Wert were still around that I could meet up with him. That was where he taught for years. How I wish that he was still around to see the work we have done with Japanese New Wave Cinema Classics. He was the guy that got me into Nagisa Oshima and hooked me up with many of the films that I cherish today.

Back to my book and the hope that my flight will leave soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the "writer's conference", Mike!
I ordered Dark Passage, by the way.

Mike White said...

Cool, I hope you enjoy it! I'm pretty sure you will.

Sorry again about the package mix-up with Skizz!

Post a Comment